History of Oviedo
Established in 1865, the community was formally named Oviedo in 1879 by then-Postmaster Andrew Aulin, a multi-lingual Swedish immigrant who loved to read. Incorporated in 1925, modern Oviedo maintains ties with its sister city by the same name in Spain.
At 33,324, Oviedo’s population grew 26.7 percent from the previous decade.
Oviedo Zip Code
32765 – Search for homes in Oviedo
$77,489 for a household in Oviedo and $80,923 for a family.
Based on data from government sources, U. S. News ranked Oviedo High School #52 in the state of Florida and #770 nationally. Students attending grades 9-12 here average 70 percent proficient in Reading and 73 percent in Mathematics compared to overall ratings for the district’s 18 total schools. All Oviedo schools have been recognized for excellent education. Plenty of Oviedo homes are available or can be custom built convenient to this city’s fine schools.
Family Circle Magazine named Oviedo in its Top Ten Best Towns for Families in 2011, citing its first-rate schools, giving spirit, affordable housing and green spaces.
No matter what time of year you look for your next home in Oviedo, FL, be sure to sample some of the seasonal events like the Annual Tree Lighting at the Lawton House. Children bring their handmade ornaments to decorate the tree and gather with other residents as it is lit. Hot cocoa and cookies are served as residents ring in the season caroling.
No freely roaming lions or tigers here, but bears, oh, yes. Oviedo is a designated bird sanctuary set amid some of Florida’s best native wildlife habitats. Catch Lukas Nursery’s Butterfly Encounter. Enjoy airboat rides and view wildlife on gorgeous, natural Lake Jessup. Florida communities coexist in harmony with native alligators, bears and other wildlife.
- Oviedo amenities include a YMCA, bowling center, nature nursery, and library.
- Little League is a big deal in Oviedo, so get your caps and gloves ready for action.
- Riverside Park has tennis courts, a pool and a skate park.
- The setting at the Gym and Aquatic Center features an Olympic-sized pool, kids’ water park and a waterslide.
- Check out the Brewery at BJ’s Restaurant.
- Catch a film at The Oviedo Mall.
- Visit Oviedo’s Cultural Center featuring a large Amphitheater, grand ballroom and outdoor patio.
- Connect with the community, meet with friends or entertain business clients at Rock and Brews restaurant.
- Attend nearby University of Central Florida, Seminole State College of Florida or area community colleges.
- Oviedo ER is not far.
Walk, hike, or bike the Cross Seminole Trail. Trek to the nearby Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens along St. John’s River, or chill at Cocoa Beach in under an hour. Find the perfect Oviedo home located near your favorite activities.
Slow down, savor the beauty and peace of this suburban retreat’as fast as you can get here. Contact an experienced real estate agent or broker to show you the best Oviedo real estate for your business. Find which Oviedo home might be your next dream come true place to live.